LESLIE J. THOMPSON is a seasoned marketing writer, editor and journalist with extensive experience creating print and Web content across a range of industries. A highly-focused self-starter, she is accustomed to a fast pace, tight deadlines and multiple assignments. Her exceptional portfolio includes feature articles for trade and consumer publications, marketing collateral, press releases, and online content.
Leslie currently lives in Dallas, TX, with her husband, Craig Thompson, singer for the Dallas party band Big-T and the Bada-Bings. The couple shares their home with three overfed cats and a Jack Russell named Amazing Gracie.
See below for a list of freelance clients and previous employment history. To request a quote for your project, email leslie [at] lesliejthompson [dot] com, or call 214-704-6661.
Following are several recent clients and projects. This list is by no means exhaustive and does not include proofreading and copyediting projects.
- Horsesmouth.com online magazine and resource center for financial advisors (contributing writer 2004-2008) and AdvisorMax.com (contributing writer 2006-2008)
- Numerous consumer and trade magazines, including Cosmopolitan, CURE, Registered Rep, SUCCESS, Neurology Reviews, Internet World and TICKER (contributing writer 1997-2001)
- Ghostwriter/collaborator for Selling in a Skirt: The Secrets Women Don’t Know They Know About Sales (And What Men Should Know, Too) (2011, credited to Judy Hoberman)
- Ghostwriter for It’s More Than Money, It’s Your Life (2003; credited to Candace Bahr, CEA, and Ginita Wall, CPA, founders of Women’s Institute for Financial Education)
- Co-author of Weight Loss Surgery Insurance Secrets (eBook)
- AOL Digital City (restaurant reviews)
- American Heart Association (monthly e-Newsletters for several different readerships; e.g., Caregiver, Heart Attack, PAD)
- Neiman Marcus (catalog copy for The Book)
- Dept. of Defense Education Activity (through Maximus; brochure copy)
- The Botsford Group (quarterly newsletter and various marketing brochures and seminar invitations for financial services advisory firm)
- The Newsletter Company (quarterly newsletter for HVAC professionals)
- Noggin/The N network (video scripts for several brand integration proposals to Proctor & Gamble)
- The Conference Publishers (meeting summary reports)
- SplashMedia (video scripts for training on software applications)
- LiveAuctioneers (media kit and press releases)
- KRMT accounting firm (brochure copy)
- Eye-Q (sell sheet)
- Execu-Search.com (site copy and monthly e-Newsletter)
- Petfoodcentral.com (landing page)
- GlobalwebHQ.com (site copy)
Voyager Expanded Learning — Dallas, TX
Director of Corporate Communications August 2005 – March 2006
Director of Marketing February 2005 – August 2006
Marketing Manager February 2004 – February 2005
- Partnered with Sr. VP of Human Resources to develop new corporate communications initiative, including quarterly all-staff meetings, biweekly e-Newsletter and monthly communications from the company president to all Voyager employees.
- Managed department personnel and oversaw copy and design for all marketing collateral (brochures, fliers, curriculum samplers, etc.), acting as editor and creative director.
- Promoted from Marketing Manager to Director of Marketing after one year. Determined department staffing needs and hired and trained four employees.
- Expanded 12-page newsletter to 24-32 page full-color, quarterly magazine and oversaw distribution growth from 40,000 to 140,000+ readers. Created story list; wrote, assigned and edited articles; and oversaw design for each issue.
- Recommended and oversaw the creation and implementation of a Visual Style Guide, and directed revisions of all marketing collateral in adherence with new guidelines.
- Developed marketing materials for several new curriculum products.
- Recommended and oversaw development of promotional video for Voyager’s Spanish reading intervention program, distributed on mini-CD via targeted direct mail campaign.
ATOMIC Magazine — New York, NY
Editor & Publisher April 1999 – October 2003
- Developed story list, assigned articles to freelance contributors, and edited all content for award-winning national quarterly periodical devoted to pop culture trends inspired by the styles of the 1920s-1960s.
- Wrote front-of-the-book content for each issue, including News & Notes and Letter from the Editor, as well as occasional feature articles and music reviews.
- Wrote press releases and coordinated participation in special events, such as concerts, classic car shows, vintage fashion expos, and WWII re-enactment events.
- Managed relationships with advertisers, distributors and printers, and oversaw all budgets and scheduling.
- Wrote or assigned and edited all content for the Website (www.atomicmag.com) and biweekly eNewsletter.
- Managed all bookkeeping and administrative tasks, including tracking invoices, answering reader emails, and ordering products for online store.
Prudential Securities Incorporated — New York, NY
Associate Vice President/Manager of Editorial Services July 1998 – April 1999
Associate Vice President/Editor June 1996 – June 1998
Writer Nov. 1995 – May 1996
- Managed all processes by which editorial copy is created, including editorial and administrative management oversight of three staff writers.
- Acted as a liaison with product areas to develop and execute creative briefs designed to assist writing staff in creation of effective copy.
- Coordinated scheduling, writing and production of two client newsletters by outside service provider.
- Wrote and produced four client newsletters covering market trends and personal financial planning (topics included mutual funds; investment strategies; and education, estate and retirement planning).
- Coordinated approvals for newsletter content, including in-house legal review and NASDR approval.
- Worked with designers on layout, proofed bluelines and supervised press runs.
- Wrote and edited additional marketing materials, including product brochures, direct mail campaigns, educational publications and local advertisements.
American International Group, Inc. — New York, NY
Editor Feb. 1994 – Nov. 1995
- Worked directly with Publications Manager at multinational insurance and financial services firm.
- Wrote and edited copy for five employee publications (including a bi-monthly magazine) and six agent/broker publications (including a quarterly product newsletter).
- Oversaw profit center and legal approval process for all publications.
- Worked with designers on layout and proofed mechanicals and bluelines.
- Provided photography for several publications.
New Woman Magazine — New York, NY
Editorial Intern Jan. – Aug. 1993
- Edited and fact checked articles.
- Researched and wrote sidebars.
- Evaluated and responded to writer queries.
New York University New York, NY
MA in Journalism with a specialization in Magazine Journalism, Dec. 1993.
Teaching Assistant, Media in America, Jan.-May 1993.
Runner up, Jessica Savitch/New York Women in Communication Scholarship, 1993.
Georgetown University Washington, DC
BSLA in German, May 1991, magna cum laude (GPA 3.8); English minor.
Regent’s Citation for excellence in academics and extracurricular activities, May 1991.
INGE Fellowship for excellence in German studies, 1988.
Professional Coursework New York, NY
Women’s Leadership Conference; National Seminars Training; Dallas, TX, Dec. 2005.
Success Strategies for Email Marketing Workshop; National Seminars Training; Dallas, TX, Aug. 2005.
Fiction Writing: Short Story I; Gotham Writers Workshop; Apr. – June 1998.
Intro. to Screenplay Writing; 10-week course; The New School; May – July 1997.
How To Do Voiceovers; 10-week seminar; The New School; Jan. – July 1996.
Basic Photography; one semester course on use of 35mm SLR camera; Aug. – Dec. 1994.
- German, fluent; French, proficient.
- MS Word, MS Excel, SpeedEdit (video editing), Visio, MS Project (moderate), Dreamweaver (moderate), Photoshop (moderate)